The other day I was building a store locator for a colleague of mine. I the application up and running without any issues although when it came time to deploy to production I ran into a problem. The production environment was being ran over SSL and since the link I used to get the Bing Maps API was not using the HTTPS version I would get a mixed content warning.
Luckily the API documentation from Microsoft recommended a different link.
Here is the one I was using prior to the SSL upgrade:
Here is the link I changed it to:
Now the problem is that this still does not work. As it turns out there is an error in Microsoft’s documentation here. Here is the correct version:
Note that the query string parameter at the end of the URL should be s=1 not ssl=1. Making this caused the rest of the scripts loaded by the Bing Maps API to be delivered over SSL. This got rid of the mixed content warning.